Welcome to Model Laboratory School at Eastern Kentucky University
521 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, KY 40475 • 859-622-3766
Model's Current Status
Model Lab School and Eastern Kentucky University are currently closed to the public. Faculy and staff are working and accessible via email (visit the directory for email addresses). Online instruction for all Model students for the remainder of the school year. Please visit the COVID-19 page for additional details.
For general information from Governor Beshear on the most up-to-date news on COVID-19 in Kentucky, please visit kycovid19.ky.gov.
Model is the only remaining laboratory school in Kentucky, one of the characteristics that has established it as a school of choice throughout the region.
As a lab school and as part of the Eastern Kentucky University community, Model is able to provide unique opportunities for students. See below for more information!
Model High School earns 5 stars!
Report Maintenance Issue: Click here to report a maintenance/facilities repair/need. If there is a safety emergency please call 859-351-3121.
Order your 2020 Yearbook - the 50th Anniversary Edition of the Exemplar - today! Click here to visit Balfour's Model Laboratory School order page.
Model Advisory Committee
The next meeting of the Model Advisory Committee is Tuesday, June 2nd, 4:30 p.m. in the Model Library. The meeting is open to the public.
Members of the 2019-20 Model Lab School Advisory Committee are:
- Beth Campbell, Model Non-Faculty
- Rodney Davis, Community Member
- Mendi Goble, Community Member
- Robin Jones, Model Parent
- Lynn Taylor Tye, EKU Board of Regents
- Tom Martin, EKU Administrator
- Gerald Tatum, Model Parent
- Heather Taylor, Model Teacher
- Katelyn Upchurch, Student
- Alex White, Model Teacher
The Model Core
- The Model Core: Focus on providing World Class Education principles, K-12 - The Model core includes Inquiry, Communication, and Data Analytics; Quantitative and Computational Reasoning; Scientific Inquiry; Global Communication and Understanding; Civic Engagement, Entrepreneurship, and Financial Literacy; Humanities; Creating, Performing, Designing and Engineering; and Fitness and Wellness.
- Family Atmosphere - Model's size allows for more individualized attention and a strong sense of family throughout the School;
- Tradition of Excellence - Whether a student is part of a family that has attended Model since its inception in 1906, or a first generation Model Patriot, there is a sense of pride and tradition upon joining our family;
- Model graduates will have transferable skills that can be applied to new situations using critical, creative, quantitative and computational reasoning.
- Participation - Model graduates complete community service projects and participate in a club, organization and/or sport as part of their graduation requirements.
- EKU Access - The majority of high school students take advantage of dual credit classes on-site on the Eastern Kentucky University campus.
Applications for the next class of future graduates are being accepted. Schedule a tour today.
It's a great time to be a Model Patriot!
To access the Kentucky Office of Homeland Security STOP! Tipline, click here or call (866) 393-6659.
Eastern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of age (40 and over), race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, ethnicity, disability, national origin, veteran status, and/or genetic information in the admission to, or participation in, any educational program or activity (e.g., athletics, academics and housing) which it conducts, or in any employment policy or practice. Any complaint arising by reason of alleged discrimination should be directed to the Office of Equity and Inclusion, Eastern Kentucky University, Jones Bldg. Room 416, Richmond, Kentucky 40475 (859) 622-8020, or the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Building, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC. 20202 1-800-421-3481(V), 1-800-877-8339 (TTY).